Let’s be honest, baked beans get a bad rap, and so they should (well, the canned variety anyway) Homemade baked beans are in a league of their own and are darn delicious. Whip these ones up next time you want a hearty breakfast.
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins of cannellini beans, drained
- 400g tomato passata
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 1-2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200ml vegetable stock (or water)
- danish feta, to serve
1. Heat the oil in an oven proof pan or pot. Once hot add the rosemary leaves. Cook on a low heat to allow the flavours to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. Then add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan along with the paprika and continue to cook until soft. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until it reduces. Then add the tomato passata and cannellini beans to the pan.
3. Add 100ml of vegetable stock or water and cook for a few minutes to bring to a simmer, season with salt & pepper.
4. Place lid on pan and bake in oven at 160C. Cook for 30 minutes.
5. Top with Danish feta and serve with crusty bread. YUM.