There's nothing better than some crispy crunchy croutons tossed through a leafy salad. If ceasar salad isn't your thang, try out this Panzanella Salad. It's light and fresh, paired perfectly with the zingy vinaigrette.
· 200g stale ciabatta loaf
· 600g ripe mixed tomatoes, , roughly chopped
· Sea salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 small red onion, peeled and very finely sliced
· Red wine vinegar
· Extra virgin olive oil
· A bunch of fresh basil
1. Tear the ciabatta into rough 3cm pieces and place on a tray. Leave aside in a warm place for around 30 minutes – this helps to dry it out.
2. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rinse the capers, squeezing out any excess liquid and add to the bowl, along with the onion, peppers, ciabatta and anchovies, if using. Toss the mixture together with your hands, then stir in 2 tablespoons of vinegar and about 3 times as much extra virgin olive oil. Taste and add a little more salt, pepper, vinegar or oil, if needed.
3. Tear in the basil leaves, stir together and serve.