Chilli Con Carne is a super easy way to sneak veggies into your children's (or in my case, boyfriend's...) dinners. Serve with some brown rice and greens on the side.
· 1 large onion, diced
· 3 gloves garlic, smashed & diced
· 1 red capsicum, finely diced
· 1 carrot, finely diced
· 1 zucchini, finely diced
· 500g lean beef mince
· Spices of your choice (I go for cumin, paprika, coriander, chilli)
· 2 baby chillies, finely diced
· 600g canned roma tomatoes
· 1 can red kidney beans
· Extra virgin olive oil
· Steamed brown rice & greens to serve
1. Add a generous drizzle of oil to a large fry pan and saute onions and garlic until they are soft and squishy. Add in the capsicum, carrot, zucchini.
2. Add in the chilli and spices and stir well, until fragrant. Brown the lean mine and break up well. Keep stirring and prodding for at least 5 minutes, until all the mince is in uniform, mince-sized lumps and there are no more pink bits. Make sure you keep the heat hot enough for the meat to fry and become brown, rather than just stew.
3. Add in the canned tomatoes and season well, let it simmer for roughly 15 minutes or until thickened. Add the kidney beans just before you're ready to serve (these only need to be heated, not cooked.)
4. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, just to get those beautiful flavours well developed.